1. Beware of intellectualizing faith, acting on your whims, leaving the truth, acknowledging falsehood, and then seeking forgiveness while failing to repent.
2. Do not be content with a half-hearted effort for there is no excuse for shortcomings, and no one is free of God.
3. Know that the happiness of a person lies in his having a good opinion to obtain what God, Most High, alone possesses, and being given the facilitation to attain His love.
4. When God desires good for anyone He blesses him with a sound intellect, makes knowledge (of the deen) beloved to him, bestows fear (of God) on him, makes gentleness his way, enriches him with contentment, and shows him his own faults.
5. You should know, that truthfulness and sincerity are the foundation of every state.
6. Patience, contentment, true asceticism, pleasure and intimacy are branches of truthfulness.
7. Sincerity branches out into certitude, fear, love majesty, shyness, and magnifying (God).
8. Truthfulness is in three things -- truthfulness of the heart in faith that is actualized; truthfulness of intention in religious actions; and truthfulness of expression in speech.
9. Patience is in three things -- patience in avoiding those things God has forbidden; patience in (dealing with the difficulty involved in) following the command of God; and patience at the time of calamity, while anticipating God's grace.
10. Contentment is in three things -- (being content with) little materially even though material means are available; with deprivation when possessing nothing and the prospects of future abundance are lacking; and with the tranquility found in worship of God, Mighty and Majestic, despite being steeped in poverty. [Above quotes by Imam Harith al Muhasibi]