1.Be resolute in loving for the sake of God, and be decisive in breaking relations for His sake.
2. Befriend righteous people, sit in the circles of scholars, and keep the company of intelligent, spiritual people.
3. Follow the way of the scholars who preceded you, and be a sincere teacher of the Muslims who will come after you, a leader for the righteous, and a refuge for the seekers of guidance.
4. Do not openly complain to anyone, and do not allow your worldly affairs to consume your religion.
5. Exert your self when giving counsel.
6. Take your fair share of isolation (for the remembrance of Allah Most High).
7. Only eat from the lawful, avoid waste, and be content with what suffices you from the world.
8. Know the constancy of God's grace to you despite your constantly opposing His commandments, His forbearance with you despite your neglecting His remembrance, His veiling your faults despite the paucity of your shyness before Him, and His absolute independence from you, despite your absolute need of Him.
9. Just as a person lacking vision cannot benefit from daylight, similarly, only the righteous can be illuminated by the light of knowledge.
10. Just as the downpour will not cause anything to grow on a solid rock, likewise, wisdom will not emerge from a heart in love with the world. [Above quotes by Imam Harith al Muhasibi]