1. Never complain to anyone about your luck, whether it be friend or foe -- rather proclaim your blessings and gratitude.
2. How may blessings you enjoy without acknowledging them for what they are!
3. Most of the various disasters that afflict a human being are due to his complaints against His Lord (Almighty and Glorious is He).
4. Be in your best behavior, persevere in the face of misfortune, even if you are incapable of patience.
5. Discard anything that strikes you as dubious if it is mixed up with something that inspires no such doubts.
6. Choose the course that bears no taint of doubt or suspicion and leave what causes you to have misgivings.
7. Let go of what people have at their disposal -- give up trying to acquire it, and stop setting your heart on it.
8. Allah is always testing His believing servant in proportion to the faith -- thus if a person's faith is very great and steadily increasing his trial will be great as well.
9. Allah (Exalted is He) subjects the believers to incessant testing, so they will always stay in His presence and never relax their vigilance, for He loves them.
10. Affliction serves as a clamp for the hearts and a noose for the selfish natures, checking their tendency to drift away from their true goal and to place their confidence and trust in others instead of their Creator. [Above quotes by Shaykh Abdul Qadir Jilani]