Keeping alive the Islamic tradition of scholarship, insight, and purification...one day at a time.
Wednesday, June 09, 2010
Pearls of wisdom 259
1.Some of the most sublime bestowals of God are contentment with the reliance upon God in hardships, and recourse to Him in reverses of fortune.
2. Love is a seizure that God grants to the heart of His servant and that distracts him from everything save Him, so that you can see the soul inclining to obey Him.
3. With God, love consists in casting off the appetitive desires and personal wishes.
4. Allow not your soul to be attached to anything, and you will be one of those well rooted in religious knowledge.
5. If thoughts of disobedience and the world occur in your heart, caste them under your feet with disdain and indifference, and your heart will be filled with knowledge and right guidance.
6. There is no guidance at all except for one who fears God, and there is no fear of God (taqwa) except for one who shuns the world.
7. He who neglects his heart despises his religion, and he who is preoccupied with his outer behavior is taking his religion as a jest.
8. If you desire to look toward God with the sight of faith and firm belief continually, then be thankful for the favors of God and be content with His decree -- Whatever favor you have is from God.
9. Take pity on your soul and be kind to it. Make good use of the tools and instruments you have been given, by dedicating your intelligence, faith, and inner awareness and knowledge to the service of your Lord.
10. Hold fast to the divine commands and prohibitions, use them as guidelines on the path of your Lord, and leave the rest to the safekeeping of the One who created you and brought you into being. [Above quotes by Shaykh Abdul Qadir Jilani]