1. A grain of genuine piety (taqwa) is better than a thousand fold weight of (nafl) fasting and prayer.
2. Meditation is a mirror which reveals you your virtues and vices.
3. How excellent is he who takes no thought of his own interest so that his patience is for God's sake -- this is the mark of true sincerity.
4. He who attains contentment requires nothing.
5. He who seeks retirement from the world finds peace.
6. He who rids himself of jealousy attains friendship.
7. He who lives with patience for a little while, gains an eternal abode.
8. Humility is constant fear accompanying the heart.
9. Seek sweetness in three things -- prayer, making remembrance of God, and reciting the Holy Qur'an.
10. Correct behavior is -- learning religion, moderation in the world, and knowledge of what constitutes your duty toward God Most High. [Above quotes by Shaykh Hasan al Basri]