2. So long as you are in this world, be not surprised at the existence of sorrows. For, truly, it manifests nothing but what is in keeping with its character or its inevitable nature.
3. Among the signs of success at the end is the turning to God at the beginning.
4. Do not keep company with anyone whose state does not inspire you and whose speech does not lead you to God.
5. You might be in a bad state; then, associating with one who is in a worse state, you see virtue in yourself.
6. There is no minor sin when His justice confronts you; and there is no major sin when His grace confronts you.
7. Let not obedience make you joyous because it comes from you; but rather, be joyous over it because it comes from God to you.
8. Whoever does not draw near to God as a result of the caresses of love is shackled to Him with the chains of misfortune.
9. Whoever is not thankful for graces runs the risk of losing them; and whoever is thankful, fetters them with their own cord.
10. Be fearful lest the existence of His generosity toward you and the persistence of your bad behavior toward Him not lead you step by step to ruin.