1. How should God inflict pain on an innocent person? So know that your suffering is the result of some lapse; the blow was inflicted because of your sensuality.
2. The world is like a mountain -- what ever you say good or evil, will come back to you. If you imagine that you spoke beautifully, but the mountain returned an ugly echo, that is absurd.
3. God makes an ingrate man suffer and he flees from Him in ingratitude. But when He sends suffering to a fortunate man, he moves closer to Him.
4. Tribulations and fear for one's life are touchstones -- through them the brave are distinguished from the coward.
5. O you who cannot bear to be without this despicable world! How can you bear to be without Him Who spread it as a carpet.
6. O you who cannot bear to be without luxuries and comforts! How can you bear to be without the Generous God.
7. Until copper becomes gold, it does not know it is copper. Until the heart becomes king, it does not know it is indigent.
8. Intellect is a man's wings and feathers. If he lacks intellect, then let him find the intellect of a guide.
9. You know the value of every merchandise; but you do not know your own value -- that is stupidity.
10. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: 'you have no more faithful companion than your works. If they are good, they will be your friends forever; but if they are bad, they will be the serpents in your grave.'
[Spirtiual Teachings of Mawlana Rumi]